Rental Insulation Requirements for Landlords

Home  /  Rental Insulation Requirements for Landlords

The Deadline Is Looming for Rental Insulation
Is Your Rental Home Up to Scratch?

Rental Property Insulation Requirements

Meeting the insulation requirements for landlords doesn’t have to be tricky. The Residential Tenancies act states all landlords must include a statement of insulation in all new tenancy agreements. It also states all homes where practicable must have sufficient insulation in both the ceiling and underfloor by July 2019. Rental properties that already have insulation must ensure it still meets the R values specified in the Act.

We provide free home consultations and can help make sure your rental meets the standard. We will also provide a statement of insulation to provide your future tenants or property managers. Ensure you ask your home consultant about what funding or financing options may be available in your area.

Rental Property Insulation Requirements

If your property doesn’t have insulation already, you will be required to remedy this. Depending on the location of your rental property it will need to be insulated to the following standards:

Minimum R-values for Zones 1 and 2:

  • Ceiling R 2.9
  • Underfloor R 1.3

Minimum R-values for Zone 3:

  • Ceiling R 3.3
  • Underfloor R 1.3

What if my rental already has insulation?

If your rental property already has insulation, the insulation must be in good condition, cover the entire roof and underfloor space, and have met the following R-value when it was installed

Minimum R-values for timber-framed homes:

  • Ceiling R 1.9
  • Underfloor R 0.9

Minimum R-values for masonry homes:

  • Ceiling R 1.5
  • Underfloor R 0.9

Statement of Insulation

The new Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) declares that landlords must declare the level of insulation in their rental property in new Tenancy Agreements. This has been in effect since July 2016.

Aeon Energy can come to your home and provide you with a Statement of Insulation for $49 per property, which you can include in your Tenancy Agreement.

What does our Statement of Insulation service include:

  • A ‘Statement of Insulation’ for your rental’s Tenancy Agreements.
  • Free assessment on insulation requirements to meet the RTA

Insulation requirements for landlords

My Rental property already has insulation. Is it good enough?

Many New Zealand homes built after 1978 do have some form of underfloor and ceiling insulation. However most homes built prior to 2008 were built with insulation levels well below the current EECA standards.

If your ceiling insulation is less than 70mm thick or is not covering the whole ceiling cavity, it is likely you will need a top up or new insulation to meet the RTA standards.

If your underfloor has no insulation you will need to rectify this.

Please note foil insulation cannot be replaced. If it is torn or ripped this will need to be removed and appropriate insulation put in its place.

Do rental properties have to have insulation?

In a short answer, yes. Rental homes must meet the insulation standards by 1 July 2019 to avoid $4,000 fines.

Is there funding available?

Depending on your location there is some options available to help finance rental properties. While the EECA rental insulation grant is no longer available to landlords, some councils do offer assistance. Some banks offer grants or payment plans.

Make sure to ask your consultant during your home consultation.

What is 'R' Value?

R value is the rating given to insulation based on its ability to resist heat transfer. The higher the R rating the better the performance.

The R value is determined by the type of product, the thickness, and its density.

Depending on your location of your rental property in New Zealand you will require the correct R value for your insulation. The South Island and the central plateau of the North Island are colder regions and require higher levels of insulation.

As a landlord do I need a heat pump

Landlords do have to provide a form of heating in the living area. While this does not have to be a heat pump, it is commonly known a heat pump is the most efficient form of heating and will help reduce your tenants energy bill.

We have a range of cost efficient heat pumps to help your tenants while not blowing your own budget.

Call Us Now

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Book an On-site Consultation